READ

tapas r Pastry Cutter E A Bead Letter D

THINK

T ( H ) i n coloured card disc letter k

GROW

G R O W

Friday, March 21, 2008

Thing 10 Wikis

I have had a wiki for about a year, but haven't done much with it yet. I started it to collaborate with my sister who lives 1,000 miles away on a writing project. She wasn't as interested in the project as I was, so I reworked the site. I started creating a site where students could share and find favorite books. This also was disappointing with the district ban on student accounts.

I like the idea of sharing information and projects on wikis. I draw the line at recommending them as authoritative sites for research. Because of the opportunity for anyone to edit the information on a wiki, I warn students of the possibility of inaccurate information. I suggest that if they plan to use information they find on a wiki site they confirm that information on a site that has been written by experts. Too often students still assume that if they read something it must be true. Wikis provide a good opportunity to show how easy it is to falsify information and to discuss ethical online behavior.

I visited the 23 Things wiki and commented. It looked so much like my own wiki page that I felt right at home!

No comments: